What Does dōTERRA Mean?
Founded in 2008, doTERRA’s mission from the beginning was to share the highest quality essential oils with the world. Having seen the incredible benefits of using these precious resources, a group of healthcare and business professionals set out to make that mission a reality. They formed a company and named it dōTERRA, a Latin derivative meaning “Gift of the Earth.”
The first hurdle they needed to overcome was to establish a quality standard in an industry that had never had one previously. The dōTERRA founders were committed to providing only the purest, highest-grade essential oils. This commitment led to the creation of a new standard of quality: CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade®. Every dōTERRA oil is held to the highest possible level of purity.
Now, dōTERRA means more than “Gift of the Earth.” It means wellness, healing, and hope.
dōTERRA sources, tests, manufactures, and distributes essential oils and related products to over five million dōTERRA Wellness Advocates and customers. Company products are sold in 18 international markets and counting.
Through industry-leading, responsible sourcing practices, doTERRA maintains the highest levels of quality, purity, and sustainability in partnerships with local growers around the globe through Co-Impact Sourcing®. The doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation®, a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, offers resources and tools to sourcing communities and charitable organizations to raise self-reliance, increase access to healthcare, promote education, advance sanitation, and fight against human trafficking.
Through the life-enhancing benefits of essential oils, dōTERRA is changing the world one drop, one person, one community at a time.
Check out some of the dōTERRA highlights from last year!
View 2019 Year in Review
doTERRA has experienced rapid growth since its founding. Below are just a few of our milestones.
- 2008—doTERRA founded
- 2008—CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® becomes symbol of doTERRA quality control standard
- 2009—AromaTouch Technique introduced
- 2009—Taiwan office opens
- September 2010—doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation® created
- 2010—Europe office opens
- 2011—Scientific Advisory Board established, including both scientific advisors and medical physicians
- 2012—100,000 Wellness Advocates and customers
- 2012—Japan office opens
- 2013—doTERRA breaks ground on state-of-the-art corporate headquarters in Pleasant Grove, Utah
- 2013 – doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation’s first annual service expedition to Huehuetenango, Guatemala
- 2013—Separate Medical Advisory and Scientific Advisory Boards established to further specific roles in quality, research, and medicine
- 2013—Australia, Hong Kong, and Korea offices open
- 2014—1,000,000 Wellness Advocates and customers
- 2014—500+ employees
- 2014—The first phase of doTERRA’s new corporate campus is completed
- 2014—China office opens
- 2015—Product Center opened in Pleasant Grove, Utah
- 2015—The second phase of the corporate headquarters is completed
- 2015—1,000+ employees
- 2015—doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation partners with Days for Girls
- 2015—2,500,000 Wellness Advocates and customers
- 2015—Singapore office opens
- 2016—doTERRA named one of “America’s Best Midsize Employers” by Forbes
- 2016—Esseterre Bulgaria opens
- 2016—3,000,000 Wellness Advocates and customers
- 2016—doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation, in partnership with CHOICE Humanitarian, completes the first two earthquake-resilient schools in Nepal after the 2015 earthquakes
- 2016—Canada office opens
- 2017—doTERRA named one of “America’s Best Midsize Employers” by Forbes for the second year in a row
- 2017—doTERRA completely vindicated in Young Living Trial
- 2017—doTERRA breaks ground for phase 3 of corporate headquarters expansion
- 2017—doTERRA announces new Healthcare Initiative
- 2017—doTERRA breaks Guinness World Records for “Most Personal Hygiene Kits Assembled in One Hour”
- 2017—2,000+ employees
- 2017—Malaysia, New Zealand, and Costa Rica offices open
- 2018—doTERRA named one of “America’s Best Midsize Employers” by Forbes for the third consecutive year
- 2018—10 Year Anniversary
- 2018—doTERRA’s 2018 Global Convention recognized as a zero-waste event
- 2018—Donates $5 million to support Huntsman Cancer Foundation hospital expansion
- 2018—First Prime Meridian Health Clinic opens in St. George, Utah
- 2018—doTERRA supported 122,095 jobs and impacted 541,349 lives through global sourcing efforts
- 2018—doTERRA recognized as the leader in the Global Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Market by Verify Markets
- 2018—3,200+ employees
- 2018—doTERRA opens a childcare facility
- 2018—Brazil, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Russia markets open
- 2019—doTERRA’s Science team published several clinical trials
- 2019—Opens Prime Meridian clinic for employees in Pleasant Grove
- 2019—Supported over 830 organizations through corporate sponsorships, partnerships, and project participation
- 2019—Donates $17.7 million to Utah Valley University
- 2019—Opens a new product center in Alaska
- 2019—doTERRA named a Top Workplace in the Salt Lake Tribune Top Workplaces Awards
- 2019—partnered with Tour of Utah and the Utah Jazz
- 2019—doTERRA shares vision for more sustainable sourcing of Frankincense and Myrrh at the 6th World Congress on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants
- 2019—Partners with St. Elizabeth’s Healthcare to create the doTERRA Center for Integrative Oncology
- 2019—Colombia, Philippines and South Africa markets open
- 2019—doTERRA’s sourcing and social impact projects have impacted 1,014,071 lives
dōTERRA Sales Model
In order to facilitate the best personal essential oil experiences, dōTERRA utilizes a direct selling model. This approach allows distributors to work with customers, which allows customers to learn about and experience essential oils from somebody they know and trust. This model also creates the opportunity for individuals and families to achieve their dreams of financial independence.
Over three million Wellness Advocates now use and sell dōTERRA products around the world.